February is Black History Month and Georgia State invites you to join the celebration!
The Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) website team is assembling a special information page for 2022 at dei.gsu.edu to highlight planned events by the Cultures, Communities & Inclusion team and other departments and units at Georgia State. If your department, unit or organization is holding an event related to Black History Month, we’d love to share your occasion with the wider Georgia State community.
Please share your details through the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) website’s submission form at https://dei.gsu.edu/submit-info/ and select “Black History Month.”
Keep an eye on the dei.gsu.edu website and your campus email for Black History Month event highlights later in January. A special event page for the month in 2022 is coming soon, and several events are being planned around the university (please note that all events are subject to change):
- A film series with movies every Thursday through Cinefest showcasing Black History, including "Get Out," "King Richard," "Blackkklansman," "Fences," and "Judas & The Black Messiah"
- The Mario A.J. Bennekin Symposium, Benjamin E. Mays Lecture and the Honors College Founders Lecture (click here to read more about event dates and details)
- Dialogues about issues affecting the Black community, including a Black Women's Dialogue on Feb. 9, a Black Men's Dialogue on Feb. 17, and a greater dialogue on Feb. 23
- A discussion about Black mental health on Feb. 3
- A Black history art reception on Feb. 28
... and much more!
Heritage months at Georgia State celebrate the customs, values, and traditions of various cultures, examining the issues and struggles of different communities as well as affirming their contributions to society. Heritage months are important in providing intentional space for teaching, learning and reflection. Each month, we celebrate the identities and histories of members of Georgia State’s global communities through vibrant performances, lectures, and activities that celebrate our rich cultural diversity and help us understand our shared history. Learn more about these months here.
If you would like to assist the Cultures, Communities & Inclusion team with heritage month planning, email [email protected].
For a look at last year's Black History Month, you can click here to read the story.