THE ACADEMIC YEAR IN REVIEW: 2020-21 IN DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION AT GEORGIA STATE
Over the 2020-21 academic year, Georgia State has made meaningful and progressive strides to demonstrate our commitment toward diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI). From engaging in critical community conversations to implementing transformative institutional action plans and initiatives, we reflect on our many DEI initiatives that seek to celebrate our rich diversity and ensure fair and equitable environments for faculty, staff, and students. Our current progress and future goals underscore our vision of becoming a national leader and a leading model for inclusive excellence.
INTRODUCING THE DEI RESOURCE LIBRARY
We are pleased to launch the DEI resource library to help you connect to more DEI resources easily and effectively. This library is a keyword-searchable directory to assist users in finding helpful and important resources, including books, academic publications, policies and manuals, film and multimedia, services and centers, on-demand training, and other valuable information. Learn how to navigate and contribute to the library by clicking the button below.
A USER'S GUIDE: DEI WEBSITE FAQ PAGE
The DEI website is the university's central hub for information about programs, initiatives, events, and documents related to DEI efforts at Georgia State. There's a lot of information on these pages, and we want to help you make the most of it. Therefore, we've assembled a handy list of FAQs that will serve as a reference guide to assist you in better understanding what the DEI website contains, how to use its functionalities, and instructions on how to share events, news, and other items with us.
ADVANCING GRADUATE AND PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION FOR ALL: THE CENTER FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF STUDENTS AND ALUMNI
The Center for the Advancement of Students and Alumni, or the CASA, is Georgia State’s initiative to encourage and support promising undergraduate students, especially from backgrounds that remain underrepresented in professional positions, to consider and prepare for education beyond the bachelor’s degree.
Since its inception in 2018, the CASA has served thousands of Georgia State students, and the center's faculty and staff are hard at work to apply Georgia State's spirit of innovation in student success to the opening of opportunities for all at the graduate and first professional degree levels.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS FOR "AAPI ON CAMPUS" PANEL DISCUSSION ON MAY 5
To celebrate May as Asian/Pacific American Heritage Month, which honors the community's rich heritage and contributions that have been integral in shaping the United States' history, the Asian/Asian American Faculty Identity Group (AAAFIG) of the Diverse Faculty Alliance is hosting a virtual panel discussion on Wednesday, May 5, from 1 to 2 p.m., focusing on issues related to Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) students, faculty and staff.
GEORGIA STATE DESIGNATED EXCLUSIVE HOST SPONSOR FOR DIVERSITY ABROAD, GLOBAL INCLUSION 2021
Georgia State is pleased to announce its designation as the exclusive host sponsor for Diversity Abroad, Global Inclusion 2021, a global education conference that will take place Oct 25-29. As a national leader in graduating students from diverse backgrounds and enterprising urban research institution, Georgia State embodies the conference’s mission of advancing diversity, equity and inclusion in global education and cultural exchange.
EIGHT PERIMETER STUDENTS NAMED SEMIFINALIST FOR NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP
Eight Georgia State University Perimeter College students have been named semifinalists for the national Jack Kent Cooke Undergraduate Transfer Scholarship. Perimeter College students represent all but one of the semifinalists chosen from Georgia. They are among 406 semifinalists selected from more than 1,500 applicants attending 398 community colleges in 44 states and the District of Columbia. Click the button below to learn more about each semi-finalist.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Diversity Dialogue 5 - Vision for Georgia State and
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: where do we go from here?
The fifth dialogue of the Diversity Dialogues series took place on Wednesday, April 7. The discussion included national, regional and local diversity, equity and inclusion leaders, with a conversation about moving Georgia State to inclusive excellence. Watch the livestream recording here.
From the President: A Message of Solidarity for the Asian American and Pacific Islander Community
President Becker offers a message of solidarity to the Asian American and Pacific Islander community in light of recent events of discrimination and violence. Read the full statement here.
- Lavender Graduation - April 23
- Teaching for Social Justice & Democracy Speaker Series: Dr. Ewa McGrail - April - 23
- Managing Bias & Microaggressions - April 27
- 7th Annual Autism Conference & Expo - May 12
- 2021 Virtual Brains & Behavior Retreat - May 19
For more DEI events visit the events calendar on the DEI website here. For other events visits the Georgia State main calendar here.
If you have suggestions for additional diversity, equity, and inclusion related news stories, events, or observances to share with the Georgia State community, please complete the DEI assistance form here.
MONTHLY OBSERVANCES AND CELEBRATIONS
- https://www.diversitybestpractices.com/2021-diversity-holidays (Diversity Holidays)
- Interfaith Calendars
HIGHLIGHTED PROGRAMS FROM THE DIVERSITY DATABASE
The Panther's Pantry provides food to students with short-term food insecurity and other financial constraints to effectively reduce stress from hunger and support educational success. *Due to Covid-19 safety precautions, all Panther’s Pantry locations have moved to a bag system.
Ascend is the largest Pan-Asian organization for business professionals in the United States. Georgia State's university-level club provides the standard opportunities available to participants, including leadership opportunities, professional development and network building.
CONTRIBUTE TO THE
The Diversity Database brings together diversity, equity and inclusion-related initiatives, programming and policy from across Georgia State into one searchable information hub. Contribute to the database or change your existing entry here. Learn more about how to use the database through the video tutorial below.
- Atlanta Global Studies Symposium - The annual symposium brings together educators, researchers, corporate, civic, and community partners, as well as graduate and undergraduate students, to discuss topics of global and local significance and to foster interdisciplinary collaboration across universities. The 2021 Atlanta Global Studies Symposium will connect audiences to experts and research on various topics, including social justice, global health, Race Beyond Borders, international education, diplomacy, and peace education. April 20 -23.
- Curricular Practical Training (CPT) - Curricular Practical Training (“CPT”) is temporary, off-campus employment authorization for F1 visa students. Curricular means the work must be required or related to a course in the student’s major program of study, and the student must receive academic credits for the work. Click the link above to learn more about eligibility and application requirements. June 11.
- Financial Aid - Summer 2021 Funding for Pell/HOPE Eligible Recipients - Students who are HOPE or Pell Grant eligible or who did not utilize all of their federal loan funding during Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 might be eligible for some funding to attend in Summer 2021. When you register for summer classes the Financial Aid office will automatically review your eligibility and update your award within 3 – 5 days. Or you can contact Student Financial Management Center to review your possible eligibility.
View the inaugural issue of the DEI Newsletter here
View the previous issue of the DEI Newsletter here
The next issue of the DEI newsletter will be published in September 2021. Thank you for an impactful and educational 2020-2021 academic year. We look forward to continuing our progress as we strive to be a model for inclusive excellence.