PROFESSOR AND INDEPENDENT DOCUMENTARY FILMMAKER, AGGIE E. BAZAZ, EXPLORES IMMIGRATION PARTICIPATION AND THE SCHOLARSHIP OF CITIZENSHIP
While working on a project with the Mexican American immigrant community in upstate New York, Aggie Ebrahimi Bazaz, an independent documentary filmmaker and assistant professor at GSU's School of Film, Media and Theatre, noticed the ways filmmakers approach film subjects may contribute to their "othering."
GEORGIA STATE ALUM, NOW A PROFESSOR, SELECTED FOR PRESTIGIOUS WRITING FOR JUSTICE FELLOWSHIP
College of Education & Human Development alumnus Clarice Thomas (Ph.D. '18) was one of 10 people nationwide selected for PEN America's 2021-2022 Writing for Justice Fellowship Program. It supports emerging or established authors as they write pieces "that illuminate critical issues related to mass incarceration and catalyze public debate."
For more DEI events visit the events calendar on the DEI website here. For other events visits the Georgia State main calendar here.
If you have suggestions for additional diversity, equity, and inclusion related news stories, events, or observances to share with the Georgia State community, please complete the DEI events/news submission form here.
BEYOND THANKSGIVING: NOVEMBER, DECEMBER, AND EARLY JANUARY HOLIDAYS
Members of Georgia State's diverse university population celebrate holidays of different communities and faith traditions over the next few months, including but definitely not limited to Diwali (Nov. 4); Hanukkah (starting at sundown on Nov. 28, through Dec. 6); Christmas (Western: Dec. 25; Orthodox/Coptic: Jan. 7, 2022); and Kwanzaa (Dec. 26-Jan. 1, 2022).
Additionally, Jan. 16, 2022, will mark National Religious Freedom Day in the United States, and globally, World Religion Day.
For more information about the wide range of religious and other holidays, click here to visit the DEI Resource Library, where you can find the Dean of Students' Cultures, Communities & Inclusion initiative's Cultural Awareness Guide. It has a very comprehensive list of holidays, celebrations, and observances.
You can also find other holiday and observance listings at the following links:
- Diversity Holidays
- External Interfaith Calendars
HIGHLIGHTED PROGRAMS FROM THE DIVERSITY DATABASE
|The TRiO Student Support Services Program is an academic support program specifically designed to support participants who are first generation, low income, and/or are registered with disability services. The goal of the program is to support students by providing such services as: tutoring, success coaching, academic behavior workshops, connecting students to college recourse such as financial assistance, scholarships, and advising on other hurdles to college progression and retention.|
CONTRIBUTE TO THE
The Diversity Database brings together diversity, equity and inclusion-related initiatives, programming and policy from across Georgia State into one searchable information hub. Contribute to the database or change your existing entry here. Learn more about how to use the database through the video tutorial below.
- The Committee on Equity of Professional Opportunity (CEPO) Undergrad Research Proposal: The goals of CEPO are to increase membership and participation among under-represented groups, to sponsor programming to address their concerns, and to provide role models, including a SEPA/CEPO Invited Speaker at the SEPA annual meeting. Deadline: Nov. 21
- Ford Foundation Fellowships
- Doctoral (Dissertation) Fellowship and Postdoctoral Fellowship - Deadline: Dec. 9
- Predoctoral Fellowship - Deadline: Dec. 16
- Links to details about fellowships are located at this link.
FIND MORE OPPORTUNITIES
Visit https://dei.gsu.edu/opportunities/ for more workshops, fellowships, challenges, grants, and other information.
FROM THE RESOURCE LIBRARY
- On-Demand Training: Inclusive Mindset for Committed Allies - What does it mean to become a true ally? This question is more relevant now than ever. True allies start with an inclusive mindset based on three basic principles: be brave, be humble, and be dedicated. In this course, discover how to put these principles into practice. (Via LinkedIn Learning, free for Georgia State students, faculty, and staff)
CONTRIBUTE TO THE RESOURCE LIBRARY
Visit https://dei.gsu.edu/resource-library/ to search for books, guides, manuals, policies, multimedia, maps, directories, and more. You can also suggest a resource to add to the library.